Monday, March 14, 2011

Monday Creature Feature!

This week's Monday creature feature takes us to the shop of Quitapita, in Enterprise, AL. som eo fyou already know Quitapita's work -- but in another form. You see, Quitapita is also the graphic artist behind our team logo and mascot, Ami Gu. But we're here to talk crochet... so let's take a look!


This week's creature feature is more a "creature of beauty" than a "creature" -- it's Quitapita's Frieda, modeled after the brilliant and passionate Mexican painter, Frieda Kahlo. Kahlo was best known for her honest and beautiful self-portraits. Kahlo once said, "I paint myself because I am so often alone and because I am the subject I know best."


Drawing on personal experiences, including her marriage, her miscarriages, and her numerous operations, Kahlo's works often are characterized by their stark portrayals of pain. Of her 143 paintings, 55 are self-portraits which often incorporate symbolic portrayals of physical and psychological wounds. She insisted, "I never painted dreams. I painted my own reality."

I think Quitapita's piece is one that would have done Kahlo proud. Despite the wide smile on the character's face, the selection of stark black eyes and the characteristic "mono-brow" identify the doll immediately as Kahlo. Like Kahlo, Quitapita used the traditional bright colors that are so well-loved in Mexican painting.

For more of Quitapita's great works, you can visit her Etsy shop, or check out her Facebook page for all her latest updates!

1 comment: